Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Jungle Song

Muscles are pulled, ripped, torn from the bone and separated from each other. The only noise I can hear is the wall of blood rushing in my ears. My pulse beats in the tip of my nose with the violence of a hammer. I feel as though I could explode with every exhale, every inhale brings me back together with an implosion from my chest inwards to the back of my spine. Electric fingers play me like an exotic instrument, pent and bursting out like a pump organ. My song is a jungle noise, filled with dark nights and red moons that hang low on the horizon. We lose ourselves in the eyes of the other, brought back by the stirring of vegetation; the snap of a twig, the rustle of leaves. Our bodies are lean from running over the jungle floor. The night makes us move, we are lunar powered. The vines hang and catch us in their web making us each a marionette, our arboreal strings being pulled; we dance under the fat moon, gross exaggerated movements with each tug. The natives are restless and dance to ward us off. We are the evil spirits that haunt their forests. The reason their fires burn through the night.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think my favorite of the three writings was jungle song. bodies and fiery were great too. fiery is very intense, little scary and should be handled with care, (preferably an oven mitt). bodies intrigued me alot. especially when you elaborate on the begining of the day and the process of events that unfold while in bloom, and then how the writing/day/life slowly ages and turns to dusk. its very truthful, and sad too. but something about jungle song just grabs you and pulls you right in to this lucid, adrenaline fueled, primal dream that is, consiquently, the kind of barbaric, animalistic life we live. only it is unshrouded from the business suits and the new car smell that always seems to distract our attention from the truth of the world and the beasts that own and destroy it. and at the same time jungle song holds a great sort of fictional, fantasy like feeling that allows the reader to separate from it and feel autonomous and veiw it as an unthreatening work of literature. --Nathan

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home